Open Questions for the New Decade of 2021-2030: Part 1
Thinking deep and asking questions has been beneficial for me since I can remember. As we head into the next decade, here are some questions that draw my curiosity. Eager to know your thoughts on the same. And yes, more to come...
- Remote Work: Remote work and the resulting trend of decentralization seems irreversible. Some love it, some don't. Current problems like lack of human facetime were the focus of discussion in 2020. What does the steady-state look like as we fast forward ten years?
- Synthetic Food: Strong views exist for and against any form of biology tinkering. One side believes it helps the planet. The other side believes that real food will always be more nutritious. As of now, meat is the starting point for synthetic food manufacturers. Are veggies next on the menu? What sections of society will adopt synthetic food? And which ones won't?
- Voice Communication: Most humans communicate better by speaking versus writing. Will voice communication between humans and machines go mainstream in the coming decade? The last two decades saw messaging apps taking a bite out of email communication. Will voice do the same?
- Intelligent Machines: Data is the new oil. Startups have built empires based on this. Then why haven't data science and machine learning permeated every facet of our lives?
- Rural Connectivity: Drive 20 minutes away from any major metropolitan area. And connectivity options start disappearing. Connectivity is like the underlying nervous system of true economic growth. And yet very little progress in such a massive area.
- Edge Harvesting: What will spur edge harvesting of natural resources and crops? Is it severe climate change in certain regions? Pro-active government mandates and regulations? Most of the space outside our homes is aesthetic with no meaningful value.
- Revolutionizing Boring: Software startups saw extreme growth rates in the last few decades. What industries outside of these will exhibit similar growth rates? Will this vary by region and country?
- Buying & Selling: How would you like to buy and sell in ten years? Everything from high-value "items" such as homes and vehicles to daily-use essential products? What about services? Will buying and selling behaviors across consumers translate into the enterprise or vice-versa? How about government and defense?
- Corporate Functions: What corporate functions do you see diminishing in value? And in which industries? Do you foresee any new corporate function(s) springing up?
- Multigenerational Living: Will society go from nuclear to multi-generational living? If yes, what will be the reasons for this shift?
- Tradition & Religion: Do you feel the older cultural norms and traditions will disappear? Or some shifts result in their comeback? How about religion? What will it look like in the next ten years?
- Human Pursuits: Will we have new pursuits and hobbies in the next decade? How will these pursuits differ across different economic sections of our society?
Let's Talk: If you have a true experience that resonates, please send me an email.
#startup #founders #startupfounders #startupjourney #startupstories #startupsuccess #lessonslearnt #startupideas #open questions #new decade #2020 #2021 #2030